What is Oculoplastic Surgery?
Oculoplastic surgery is a type of surgery that is performed around the eyes.
Oculoplastic surgery deals with the plastic or reconstructive surgery of the eyelids, the tear ducts and the orbit (bony socket of the eye). In addition to this, it also includes a cosmetic surgery of the eyelids and the eyebrows.
While plastic surgery is the reconstruction of the entire body, an oculoplastic surgery focuses on the functioning of the eye and the facial regions around the eye.
Types of Oculoplastic Surgery
Different types of oculoplastic surgery can be performed on the eyelids, eyebrows, eye sockets, tear ducts, forehead or face and cheeks.
Following is a list of the various kinds of oculoplastic surgery -
1. Blepharoplasty aids in erasing excess skin, bulging fat and lax muscle present in the lower or upper eyelids. In doing so, it improves vision and provides a youthful appearance. Also known as Cosmetic Eyelid Surgery, it removes the obstruction and expands visual field when peripheral vision is disturbed on account of the sagging upper eyelid skin.
2. Eyebrow Lift is a procedure that is often combined with ptosis repair or blepharoplasty to lift droopy or heavy eyebrows back to their normal position. It improves vision and gives a youthful appearance.
3. Ptosis Repair is done for the revival of the eyelids edged to transport it back to its normal and healthy state above the pupil.
4. Epiphora is also called Dacryocystorhinostomy or DCR and is used to treat blocked tear ducts in adults. A bypass is performed to open up the blockage, allowing a more normalized tear flow.
5. Tumor Removal is a procedure used to treat a vast variety of cancers of the eyelid and the orbital area like Squamous Cell Carcinoma, Sebaceous Gland Carcinoma and Basal Cell Carcinoma.
6. Ectropion and Entropionare two conditions that adversely affect the position of the eyelids. When the eyelid turns away from or towards the eye, it causes these conditions. Someone with this condition will experience a lot of discomfort and discharge. An oculoplastic surgery can help treat it.
6. Eyelid Gold Weights is a procedure that is performed to treat facial palsy.
Before undergoing the surgery, your doctor will advise you to do the following -
1. Consult your Regular Health Care Provider to be sure that it is safe for you to go through with the surgery and to get some routine tests done.
2. Make Arrangements to have someone drive you home after you are done with the surgery.
3. Cease taking medicines that thins your blood
4. Stop smoking 2-3 weeks before and after your Surgery in order to help with the healing.
Risks Associated with Oculoplastic Surgery
Much like most other surgeries an oculoplastic surgery is sometimes accompanied with a number of risks which include -
4. Wound Dehiscence
5. Overcorrection (which happens in rare cases)
6. Globe Perforation during Local Anesthetic Injection
7. Visual Impairment (which happens in rare cases)
An oculoplastic surgery is conducted to either treat a medical problem or for the purpose of beautification.
After the surgery if you experience pain in spite of taking pain-killers, experience signs of infection, if a cut does not heal or your vision get worse you must get in touch with your doctor.